Monday, July 13, 2009

Week 5 -IT Band? WTF is an IT Band???



I keep learning new things with this training. First it was proper nutrition, then proper hydration. Then all about pronation, overpronation, blah blah blah, as my knees protested mightily when I started this whole "training" thing (note the continued use of quotes here - I am still a poser). Now? The dreaded IT band. As in, iliotibial band. Most runners at one time or another have issues with their IT band, usually in their knees, causing lateral knee pain. The IT band is a thick tissue that runs from the hip to the knee, attaching from the pelvis to the femur (see image), and basically stabilizes the knee during running. The problem with the IT band? If it isn't stretched properly, or from running a lot (especially after rapidly increasing distances) it can rub at the knee joint resulting in inflammation and hence, cause massive pain when running (and after).


This is very common. Less common is my problem with my IT band. Pain at the hip where the IT band is connected at the pelvis. How uncommon? See what Wiki says about it below:
"ITBS can also occur where the IT band connects to the hip, though this is less likely as a sports injury. It commonly occurs during pregnancy, as the connective tissues loosen and the woman gains weight -- each process adding more pressure. ITBS at the hip also commonly affects the elderly. ITBS at the hip is studied less; few treatments are generally known."

Uh, yeah. Don't I feel good now. I am neither old (I don't think 35 qualifies as old - does it?) nor pregnant (8 mo post pregnancy doesn't still count as pregnant does it???). So what is my problem?? I dunno. This all started about a week ago, I noticed my right hip aching a bit during my runs. Then it went to a dull pain, that would start about a half mile into the run and fade away as I ran. Then it went to sharp pain within a half mile of the run and fade to a dull pain for the remainder of the run. At that point I realized I need to figure out WTF is going on. Looked up some stretches on line for it, and that seems to help some. Ran this week and biked and after stretching, if anything, it was just a dull soreness. Hopefully continued stretching will work it out.


Here's the recap:


Monday - off day


Tuesday - I had to go to Niles for my father-in-law's funeral so I didn't have time to run.


Wednesday - I ran an Oops! run. I mistaked (as Max told me). I ran in Niles (as in, I don't have a clue where the fuck I am going). Meant to only do about 3 -3.5 mi run. Told everyone, "I'll be back in about 30 min or so!" Started off running and got to the road I normally turn and head back at (making it a 3.5 mi run or so). Instead, brainiac that I am, I decide to TURN down this road, as I knew it hit a cross road that I could take back to the main road to the inlaws house. I was thinking this road I turned down was SHORT, only quarter mile or so. ONE FREAKING MILE LATER - I hit the other road. Oops. Not only that - this road is a dirt, desolate road. A couple of houses far back from the road, and THAT'S IT! Remember, I didn't tell anyone where I was going. So, as I ran down this dark and desolate road, I started to wonder what would happen if a white van with no windows pulled up and sucked me inside. No one would ever see me again. EVER. Remember, I had a lot of time on my hands to just think, as I ran down this road pleading for it to end. So then I started thinking, OK, if a white van with no windows does pull up - I need to drop something in the road so at the least, when the search party goes looking for me, they'll know where I was. I decided I'd drop the Ipod - it was either that or my watch, and I figured the Ipod was easier to just dump quickly.


Yeah, like I said, I had a lot of time on my hands to think worst-case-scenario.


Meanwhile, no white van with no windows showed up to swipe me, I made it to the cross road, however - that road was a winding road that took 1.5mi to get back to the main drag. All told? I ran 5.1 mi or so in 50 min. Not the 30 I told everyone. Next time I tell people where I'm going. Live and learn.


Thurs - ran a ridiculously hard-ass 2.5 mi back in H'ville in 21:48 or so - yeah, that's a 8:43min/mi pace. I have this great 2.5 mi route that I am now challenging myself with to see how fast I can run it. My goal is to do it in 20 min - 8min/mi pace. Last week I did it in 22:22 - so I'm making progress.


(What can I say - this running thing can be freaking boring without a little challenge here and there!)


Fri - off - stretched the IT band after it KILLED from the Thurs run (Oh SHEET Jenny!).


Sat - ran 4.25 mi at Reed's Lake with K8. She of the, "I'm training for a marathon because I am more psycho that you are" vein, had already run onle 4.25 mi loop when I met up with her. Psycho. It was a good run though at a decent (~10min/mi) pace. My hip felt good - only slight dull pain at the start. Whew.


Sun - mountain biking at Yankee with K8, Graveel, and Leanne. Did ~7 mi. Felt fucking fantastic (ok - so this time I wasn't hung over - BITE ME!). Considering I'd run the day before and hadn't been biking in a week and a half, it went really well. The sand was tough, but I'm getting the hang of it. And definitely getting better going up tough hills - K8 taught me a trick to just hover over the seat and practically wedge the seat in my ass - amazingly, considering how uncomfortable that sounds (and it kinda is) it helps a TON. Thanks K8 - you ROCK!


That's it - the tally: 5.1 + 2.5 + 4.25 mi running = 11.85 mi + 7 mi mtn biking = 18.85mi total.


Way better than what I expected for this week - yay me!

No comments:

Post a Comment